The process of determining your daily power requirements gives an invaluable opportunity to evaluate how you are currently consuming power. Are you using energy efficiently? Is it possible to maintain your standard of living and conserve energy? Are there some appliances you can do without?
WHEN YOU REDUCE YOUR POWER REQUIREMENTS YOU WILL BE REWARDED WITH A LOWER ENERGY BILL!
If you should want a Solar PV system, we have to know how much energy you consume so we can know how much your solar PV system needs to produce.
WHEN YOU REDUCE YOUR POWER REQUIREMENTS YOU WILL BE REWARDED SMALLER PV SYSTEM THAT COSTS LESS!
How to do your own energy analysis
- Download our Energy Analysis DIY worksheet.
- Go from room to room and list every single device and light in and around your house. Don’t forget the bathroom lights. List all the kitchen appliances, even the ones you only use occasionally. List all garage tools. Include possible pumps and the washing machine. Don’t forget outside security lights, alarm systems, electric garage doors, routers, decoders and so on.
- Enter the amount of power in Watts that each device consumes. You can find this information in Watts or Amperes on the identification label. If you don’t have the info, use our average figure as indicate
- Enter the number of hours every device is used each day and how many days per week. Convert minutes to a decimal figure, e.g. 15 minutes = 0,25hrs.
- BE ACCURATE, don’t fool yourself. You may be surprised at the numbers.
- The figures in the bottom columns show your daily and monthly power consumption.
- Compare these kWh numbers to the kWh numbers on your monthly electricity bill. If you are not even close, check your list to see what you have missed. What about your electric geyser or that old fridge in the garage?
- When you are finished, you will have an energy audit of your electrical loads. This audit is a profile of who you are electrically. This is the first step to becoming your own power provider!
You will now know your energy requirements and a little more about your personal values. It introduces the concept of electrical efficiency. What can you do to lower your number? Are there any tasks that can be done more efficiently? Make an effort to learn more about energy and how to use it wisely and efficiently. See our how to save electricity page for more information.
Ultimately your efforts will not only benefit your pocket but also our Planet!